Is there anything more comforting than golden crispy roasted potatoes with a Sunday lunch or celebration meal? Here’s how you can add even more delectable flavour to a timeless classic!
- 2kgs Maris Piper (or roasting type) potatoes
- 1 Head garlic
- 2 Tbsp / 30g capers, drained and patted dry
- 8g Parsley (a small handful), finely chopped
- Sunflower or rapeseed oil as required
- Salt and pepper as required
- 2 Lemons, whole and unwaxed*
- 100ml Water
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into quarters. (For larger potatoes you may need to cut them into eighths). Place the pieces into a pot of cold salted water, then place on high heat and bring to a rolling boil for about 10 minutes until the potatoes are easily pierced with a knife and just about starting to crumble. Remember that cook-through times may vary depending on potato varietal, so check on the progress periodically using a skewer stick. Drain carefully once cooked and set aside.
- Wash the lemons well, then juice them. Reserve the juice, remove the seeds from the lemons, then slice the rinds of the juiced lemons into thin strips. Add the lemon rind, juice, salt and water to a pot and cook on a medium-low heat with the lid on until the lemon rinds are soft. This typically takes around 5-10 minutes. Add a little more water if you need to, in order to prevent the lemons from catching on the bottom of the pan.
- Preheat your oven to 190C, with oil covering the base of your roasting pan to approximately 2-3mm deep. Once hot, tip the drained potatoes into the hot oil and gently toss to coat them. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the potatoes, add the garlic cut side down, and place the tray in the oven.
- Roast until the potato chunks are deeply golden, turning them every 20 mins for about 1 hour. In the final 15 minutes of cooking, add the capers to the roasting tray to crisp as well.
- Prepare the lemon dressing: add 2Tbsp salty lemon puree to a bowl. Squeeze the garlic from its skin into the bowl (discard the skin) and mix the garlic and lemon together until they form a chunky paste. Add half the chopped parsley, and stir.
*You will not need all your salty jammy lemons in this recipe. Head to our FAQ section for ideas on using it up.
- Scoop the potatoes into a serving bowl, then toss with the lemon and garlic sauce. Finish topping the dish with the chopped parsley and crisped capers, and serve immediately.
Sumptuous meals make for special memories – and crispy roasted potatoes, done to perfection, never fail to impress. Try these, add them to your repertoire, and enjoy!
*Because we’re cooking the lemon rinds, I prefer to use organic lemons
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Calories: 252.58kcal
- Sugar: 3.72g
- Sodium: 874.08mg
- Fat: 2.71g
- Saturated Fat: 0.53g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 48.37g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 6.04g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Crispy Roasted Potatoes, Lemon