Deliciously creamy Taramasalata makes for a delicious foodie indulgence and an easy entertaining snack. So if you’re looking for an easy take on a much loved classic – this is it. Perfect for laid-back summer entertaining – or simply because you feel like it.
- 75g country loaf, crusts removed
- 90g salted cod roe
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped Spanish onion, or shallot
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 200ml rapeseed oil
- 100ml olive oil
For Serving (use any of these)
- Olive oil
- Smoked paprika
- 150g mixed radishes
- Toasted sourdough
- Frazzles or Torres chips
- Cut the crusts from the bread and dice into bite-sized chunks. Cover these in water and set aside while you prepare the roe.
- Next, remove the membrane of your cod roe. You can either do this at home or ask the fishmonger to help. If you’re doing it yourself, place the roe sac on a clean surface and make a shallow cut along the skin of the sac. Insert your fingers or a small spoon into the cut and peel back the thin membrane. Gradually separate the membrane from the roe, being cautious not to tear it.
- Continue gently peeling until the membrane is completely removed. Discard the membrane.
- Now, squeeze the water from the bread and place it into a food processor, with the cod roe, lemon, garlic, and onion. Process the ingredients until very smooth, scraping down the sides with a spatula to ensure everything is well blended, and you achieve a smooth puree.
*Optional: To achieve ultra-silky smoothness, you can also pass this mixture through a very fine sieve, then pop it back into your blender or food processor.
- With the blender motor running slowly, drizzle in the oils until the mixture becomes light and fluffy. Remember, adding the oil too quickly can cause the mixture to split. The end result should be a light fluffy dip, similar in texture to a mayonnaise. If the mixture is too thick, simply blend in a tablespoon or two of ice water with the motor still running.
- To serve, spoon the whipped roe onto a plate, drizzle some olive oil over it, and add a dusting of smoked paprika.
This makes for an absolutely fantastic snack or casual starter. It pairs brilliantly with beer or kombucha – and you can add salty, bacon Frazzles alongside the roe (my fave), or even Torres salted crisps (my ultimate potato chip)!
Or, if you like, go classic and pair this with toasted bread, radishes, and a chilled glass of white wine.
Ready to kick back and enjoy a decadent dip or two? Let us know how it went!
Full Disclosure: I earn a small commission if you buy any of the products listed in my Amazon shop. But don’t worry – it won’t cost you anything extra. These are products I know and have used myself, and you’ll find them in my kitchen or studio.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 0 min
- Category: Snacks
Keywords: Taramasalata, Whipped Cod's Roe