Blistered and puffed crispy beef, covered in an addictive, sticky Sriracha sauce, and served over fluffy coconut rice. Easy to cook and ready in under 40 minutes, it’s the perfect alternative to a take away!
- 600g Flank Steak, Sirloin or Rump*
- 1 cup cornflour
- 1/4 cup Sriracha
- 2 Tbsp cornflour
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp soy or season to preference
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 500ml cooking oil for shallow frying
For the Coconut Rice
- 200g/1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp water
For the Marinade
- 3 Tbsp Sriracha
- 2 Tbsp soy
- 2 cloves grated garlic
- 1–2 thinly-sliced spring onions
- greens of choice
- Slice the steak into 1 cm wide strips and place them in a bowl.
- Add the marinade ingredients into the bowl, then mix the marinade ingredients into the steak strips. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes, mixing every now and then to coat the steak pieces in the marinade.
- While the steak is marinating, place a pan on medium-high heat. Add the sesame seeds and toast until golden. Set aside for later.
- Thinly slice your spring onions, saving a large pinch for your coconut rice. Set this aside for later.
- Make the coconut rice. Place the rice in a sieve and run cold water over it, until the water running through the rice turns clear.
- Shake the tin of coconut milk to combine the cream and coconut water within the tin, then measure out the quantity needed. Place the coconut milk, water and rice into a saucepan and bring to a rapid simmer. Season the cooking liquid to taste with salt.
- Once simmering, place the lid on the saucepan (you can leave a small gap if it threatens to bubble over) and reduce the heat low, so that the rice is simmering gently. Cook the rice for 10-12 minutes or until all the liquid has absorbed. Test the rice- it should be cooked, with a slight bite. Once cooked, Place the lid back on the rice and set it aside to steam for 7 minutes. Fluff the rice and set aside for serving.
- While the rice cooks, make the crispy beef. Remove the beef from the marinade and pop it into a sieve, to thoroughly drain off the excess marinade. Save the marinade for the sauce.
- Place the beef back in the bowl and add half of the cup of cornflour. Toss the cornflour through with a spoon or your fingers until the beef is well coated.
- Place a small saucepan on a a medium heat and add the Sriracha, honey and mirin, along with ¼ cup of water. Add the reserved marinade and bring to the boil.
- Mix together the 2 Tbsp cornflour with an equal quantity of water until well combined. Whisk the sauce until it starts to thicken then turn the heat to low and leave the sauce to simmer while you finish the beef.
- Place the oil in a deep pot over high heat. Test the oil by adding in a strip of beef. If it sizzles energetically, its ready.
- Toss the remaining cornflour through the beef and mix everything together. Remove the beef fstrips from the corn flour and lightly shake off the excess.
- Working in 3 batches, so as not to crowd the pan and cool the oil, fry the beef until deep golden and crisp.
- Transfer the beef to a paper towel lined plate to drain off excess oil. In a large bowl toss the beef with the sauce, adding just enough to coat the crisp exterior in an even layer of sauce.
- Place the rest of the sauce into a serving bowl. Pile the rice onto serving plates and top with the crispy Sriracha beef, scatter over the sesame seeds, spring onions and drizzle over as much of the sauce as desired to be soaked up by the yummy coconut rice
*All my meat is responsibly sourced, meaning it lived a happy life outside, free of routine antibiotics, and the farmer engaged in ethical farm management practices. Try to get ahold of the best beef you can afford, for your own health and that of the planet.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Category: Mains
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian-inspired
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 3697.37kcal
- Sugar: 86.03g
- Sodium: 3292.41mg
- Fat: 162.28g
- Saturated Fat: 70.13g
- Unsaturated Fat: 77.48g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 382.32g
- Fiber: 22.52g
- Protein: 182.46g
- Cholesterol: 372mg
Keywords: Crispy Sriracha Beef with Coconut Rice